Monday, May 28, 2007

Bald Eagle -5, Mark - 0


As you may or may not know bald eagles are nesting in Cuyahoga Valley National Park near Station Road Bridge Trailhead. The nest is on the propery of Cleveland Metroparks Brecksville Reservation within the boundary of the national park. For the past couple of weeks I have been trying to get a glimpse of the bird with no success.

The nest area is located 1/2 mile North of the Station Road parking lot. I put together a Google map if you want to check it out for yourself. I am going to keep trying, it has to be very impressive to see a bird with a 7 foot wing span flying around. I'll post pictures if I ever track it down.

Bald Eagle Info
PDF Link

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man...

I spend A LOT of time in the national park; I am surprised I have not seen an eagle yet. I have seen just about every Ohio animal imaginable.

There's a really cool marsh where beavers live. For such a small critter, they are quite ballsy!

Let me know if you ever want to do some off-the-trails recon.

You buying a bike or what?

Dz

Mark said...

I can't wait to catch that thing in action. There are a bunch of herons in the same area and people always mistake them for the eagle, dumb asses. From what I have heard the eagle dwarfs the heron.

Yeah I am going to buy a bike if I can lay off the booze for a week or 2. I wasted half a bike @ the bars last night. Damn it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...birds of prey are pretty amazing. You need the patience of a sniper to see the really cool stuff. You may sit somewhere all day and not see anything. I have seen other birds of prey while on hikes and bike rides...never an eagle, not that I know of.

Did you know there was a black bear sighting in Kent? Awesome. I hope it wanders to our area.

By the way, did you really see a black bear in PA?

Mark said...

Yeah, I woke up super early one day while camping along the Allegheny. I decided to take a walk and I found myself eyeball to eyeball with a black bear.
My first instinct was to run but I held fast, pulled out my knife and stabbed that thing in shoulder. I am sure I did not hurt it but it took off.

Anonymous said...

I always knew you were full of shit. haha.

I thought you saw one across the river. That would not be unheard of?

Ed's old man said a bear trashed their grill one year.